Monday 21 July 2014

18th-19th July. Connections of water, rail, road and sound (trying this again with photos attached!)

Still on the West Highland Way.A stunningly beautiful day yesterday along Loch Lomond, continuing to meet and re-meet fellow walkers from all over the world. At the beginning of the day two Israeli Jews prayed outside the Rowardennan hostel on the banks of the Loch, with full prayer scarves, and the little boxes on their heads (I can't remember what they're called). The day was breezy and sometimes sunny, so no insect life hanging around. This makes me happy. I saw a slow worm - very long and snake like, moving slowly, and unbothered by me. The first photo is a little bay looking south, almost at the north end of the loch, swept by wind and inland sand. Later, in the campsite in Glen Falloch, I sat outside the bar by an open fire with three lovely dutchmen and a wonderful young dutch couple, passing the evening with good conversation, beer, and an elementary lesson in counting in dutch. It was the kind of evening that I wished could last and last. And as I lay in my tent I heard the late night Glasgow to Oban train, and listened to a singer in the bar singing all the songs I learned at ceildhs on Iona.Today has been as dreich as anything. I don't think I've ever seen Tyndrum in sunshine. The walk up Glen Falloch - a glen which I've travelled by road and rail so many times in my life and holds deep memory - was half-lit by misty sunshine trying to show itself through the swirling clouds. The clouds won, and by the time I'd reached the sign to Crianlarich it was raining. What did I do at the Crianlarich sign? Not like me to break with tradition, even though I wasn't technically in Crianlarich.... It's a Saturday today and I saw the morning train up from Glasgow. There would have been people in it heading to Iona. I nearly ran after it shouting 'wait for me'! But still 280 miles to go. The second and third photos are Glen Falloch - railway and road. Tyndrum is busy. I think it's always busy. Tomorrow Rannoch Moor. Contrasts, connections, momentary meetings, reflection, and memory. The wilderness is getting closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment