Thursday 17 July 2014

Days 63 & 64. The West Highland Way, Germans, another Dutchman, Sallochy, and the bonny busy banks o' Loch Lomond

The first photo is a sign I saw in Glasgow. It just made me smile a wee bit ...

It's good to be back on the West Highland Way, meeting mostly Germans, and lots of them, and a Dutchman, not with yella hair this time. Yesterday began in heavy rain, and the first walkers I saw were when my path joined the WHW. I'd started in Lennoxtown and saw no one most of the morning. The second photo is of the Campsie Fells from Drymen, looking dark and wet. I stopped at Drymen last night ... no dry men there. I have used that pun far too often but I've only ever seen it in the rain.

Today was a gloriously clear, sunny, warm, insect free day. The third photo is from the side of Conic Hill looking up Loch Lomond. You can see The Cobbler in the middle and Ben Lomond to the far right. I didn't remember this view from last time, but then realised it was because last time I rounded the side of Conic Hill I walked straight into a heavy hail storm. Not today fortunately. The banks of Loch Lomond are busy. I have seen many walkers, swimmers, drivers, boaters, relaxers. I walked through Sallochy today on the way to Rowardennan. I nearly camped at Sallochy again, but I'm kind of glad I didn't. It was busy and felt different, although still as beautiful. The fourth photo is Sallochy, and the fifth is the Loch from Rowardennan, where I'm sitting in the yha lounge looking at the water out of the large bay window, and half listening to a slide show being given by a National Trust Ranger. I've paid £3 for this wifi session though and the pressure, combined with the background talk, is killing my creativity .... I have just learned though that the source of the River Forth is above me on Ben Lomond. And later this year they are doing a candlelit charity event on the mountain. Cool.

I can't concentrate!

No comments:

Post a Comment