Friday 13 June 2014

Full moon rising, Cannock Chase, walking between water and the unexpected question

That's last night's sunset, and opposite, over Cannock Chase, the full moon rising. And today, Cannock Chase in the hot morning. It's a beautiful ancient woodland/moor sort of place with only the sound of small birds and distant trains. There's a glacial boulder at the top which had beside it a used condom and half a packet of fags - obviously a romantic place. The Midlands has redeemed itself - it was a lovely day with views and clear paths and only one set of cows. (This is in reference to yesterday's second post which still won't upload due to signal problems - maybe this one will release the blockage!) After the Chase came walking between the Trent river and the Trent and Mersey canal on a bank that at times seemed unreal. It also had shade - the heat was at times almost too much. Saw two Virgin trains and the M6 - people travelling fast. It's all starting to sound a bit northern for a southerner like me, which means I must be getting somewhere. Later, in a pub in Abbots Bromley, I was asked straight away if I was going to John O'Groats. That was unexpected. Normally people ask where I'm going, but apparently most End to Enders pass through there so for once I seemed normal. Tomorrow has friends in store. This has become important in a way that I didn't expect. I don't mind walking alone at all - until I realise how different it is after I've said goodbye.

No comments:

Post a Comment